As I was sorting through summer kayaking pictures, I came across this great photo. Seems like my warning: winter is here. As I lavished in the longest night of the year, going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, watching old reruns of Mad Men, I wondered how I could make the winter ahead more inviting. Even the chickens won’t step out of their coop. Too wet, right now! How could I make the coming winter moments cozy and warm? If I didn’t spend some time preparing, we may burn out our full spectrum light sooner rather than later. I need something drastic; I need to be a winter renegade, an individual who rejects lawful or conventional behavior. In true Type A style, I made a list. Here is what I will do with my winter:
- Read those books that have been on my bedside table and one by one, have been shoved in my drawer—Forever, by Judy Blue; don’t laugh, she is a good writer. Elizabeth Gilbert’s new one, Committed. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down—current read set in the town I was born, Merced, CA. Atlas Shrugged. MFK’s Two Towns in Provence.
- Run in Forest Park at least once a week—did this on Saturday and it was eerily foggy, very peaceful. Especially catching up on not one, but two Splendid Tables.
- Yoga—this is a New Year’s resolution from 2007. I must be lengthened.
- Cook delicious bean dishes; like beans and pasta that we made this past weekend. Top them off with a slice of that crusty bread that we make every weekend. Eat only 1 slice per meal. Instead of my standard 3.
- Plan a chicken coop that is pretty. Trust me, we have to talk about this for at least 6 months before anything happens.
- Cross Country ski at Old Man’s Pass. Remodeling the basement and kitchen the past couple years took precedence over skiing.
- Read the NYT in our neighborhood coffee shop on Saturday mornings. I really like the idea of this. And, I know myself, I cannot sit still for more than 5 minutes.
- Make some new running playlists.
- Learn how to play racquetball .
How will you turn yourself into a “Winter Renegade?”